In the past, you needed to search for some beer to pair it with your pizza. But the scenario has changed, and currently, wine and pizza can make a perfect pair if you can pick up the right one.
You may prefer various pizza toppings, but we recommend you spend less on your wine than what you have spent on your pizza. You may love cheese or pepperoni pizza or some white pizza various you can pair them with different wines. Here are some tips for you regarding wine and pizza pairing. Let’s get started:
Tips For Wine and Pizza Pairing
Pizza and wine can make a great combination if selected carefully. So, here we will share some tips regarding pizza and wine pairing that would help you understand how to pair wine with pizza.
Wines and Pepperoni-Cheese Pizzas
Usually, it is better to select low acidity level wines with pepperoni-cheese tomato sauce topping pizzas. As there is tomato sauce in the topping, it would help increase acidity while having it with wine. Any medium-bodied Syrah or Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, or California Zinfandel can be paired with pepperoni-cheese thin-crust pizzas.
Wines with Meat Pizzas
Any pizza with a meat topping is a perfect pair for a full-bodied red wine. The tannins in red wines are suitable to match the richness and fat of red meat. So, one can consider Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, or Merlot to combine with a pizza with the topping with red meat. It will be a blast!
Wines and vegetable pizza
If you are a vegetable lover and love pizzas with the topping of pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and onions, then it would be best to go for crisp, cool wines with high levels of acidity. The high acidity level of the wine is necessary to balance the taste of vegetable varieties. A Sauvignon Blanc or dry rose wine is suitable to have with pizzas with lots of vegetable toppings.
Wines to pair with white pizza
If you love simple white pizza and want to pair it with wine, you will have more choices. White pizzas are lighter and less acidic than those with other toppings. Any crisp white wine or sparkling wine, bubbly champaign is an excellent choice to pair with a white pizza. A Pinot Grigio or an earthy Sauvignon Blac can also match the light tasted white pizzas.
Wine with Hawaiian Pizza
Hawaiian is a sweet and salty pizza that goes well with white wines. In this pizza, ham and pineapple lairs are found with a cheesy topping that contains sweetness and acidity. It enhances the taste of wine with flavors of tropical fruits, flowers, and minerals.
Top ten wine and pizza pairings
Here is a list of the top ten pizza and wine pairings:
- Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre (GSM) blend with classic cheesy pizza: This red wine blend contains a high level of acidity and is perfect to pair with cheesy pizzas. One of the best Wine and Pizza pairings
- Dry rose and Margherita: Dry rose wine can support subtle aromas of basil and can also manage the acidity of the pizza sauce. So, Margherita pizza can be an excellent accompaniment to dry rose wine.
- Pinot noir with White sauce or mushroom pizza: Pinot Noir is the perfect wine that can balance the creaminess of the White sauce. Therefore, if you want to pair white sauce or mushroom pizzas with red wine Pinot Noir is the best choice.
- Chardonnay with white pizza: Full-bodied white wine Chardonnay is a perfect balance with the creamy white pizza and thus, makes an ideal pair.
- Sauvignon Blanc with salad pizza: Salad pizza is full of veggies like spinach, arugula, etc., and the wine paired with it needs to manage the vegetal qualities. Sauvignon Blanc can perfectly handle this quality and is perfect for salad pizza. Our favourite Wine and Pizza pairing.
- Lambrusco with any pizza: This bubbly sparkling wine from Italy is intense and can be paired with any pizza.
- Chianti with Vegetable pizza (especially with fresh herbs, savory topping): Chianti is made of Sangiovese grapes and is a classic wine that goes well with vegetable pizza with fresh herbs and spicy topping.
- Beaujolais Cru with Mushroom, potato, or vegetable pizza: Beaujolais is a light red wine with an earthy mushroom taste. This earthiness makes it an excellent pair for pizzas with potatoes, mushrooms, and other veggies.
- Riesling with pineapple or dessert pizzas: Riesling is a combination of sweet and salt, and our recommendation is to pair it with a dessert or pineapple pizza. Good Wine and Pizza pairing for sweet lovers.
- Syrah with vegetable or other vegan sausages pizzas: Vegetarians can try full-bodied Syrah red wine with vegan meat and sausage pizzas to balance the flavors of anise, fennel, and other complex spices.
So, these are some tips regarding how to pair pizza with wine. Following them will help wine lovers enjoy their wines and pizzas at their best and encourage them to throw a wine & pizza party. We hope these tips will help you to pair the good pizzas with the right wines. Enjoy your Wine and Pizza.